19C British William IV Telescopic Rosewood Side Table. A REAL BEAUTY of a side table…
19C British William IV Teapoy Attributed to Gillow’s.
STUNNING early Teapoy !!!
Made circa 1830 in Britain, during the reign of William IV………….. REGENCY PERIOD !!
We have successfully attributed this to the renowned English maker, Gillow’s of Lancaster & London. We have attached a photo of the sketch for the original from the Gillow’s Design Book and they are identical!
William served in the Royal Navy in his youth and was, both during his reign and afterwards, nicknamed the “Sailor King”. He served in North America and the Caribbean. In 1789, he was created Duke of Clarence and St Andrews. Since his two older brothers died without leaving legitimate issue, he inherited the throne when he was 64 years old. His reign saw several reforms: the poor law was updated, child labour restricted, slavery abolished in nearly all the British Empire, and the British electoral system refashioned by the Reform Act 1832. Although William did not engage in politics as much as his brother or his father, he was the last monarch to appoint a prime minister contrary to the will of Parliament. Through his brother, the Viceroy of Hanover, he granted his German kingdom a short-lived liberal constitution.
At the time of his death William had no surviving legitimate children, but he was survived by eight of the ten illegitimate children he had by the actress Dorothea Jordan, with whom he cohabited for twenty years. William was succeeded in the United Kingdom by his niece, Victoria, and in Hanover by his brother, Ernest Augustus I.
In the late 18th and early 19th Centuries ……………. Tea was expensive as Gold !
It was not only important for the Upper Class to show off their imported Tea from India or Ceylon, in a Tea Caddy that could lock, but also to keep it safe from possibly thieving servants !!!
The really rich would use a Teapoy as a symbol of status and wealth.
TEAPOY: A teapoy is an item of furniture. The word is of Indian origin, and was originally used to describe a three-legged table.
By erroneous association with the word “tea”, it is also used to describe a table with a container for tea, or a table for holding a tea service.
A Teapoy was effectively a tea caddy on a fixed stand, so that, unlike a box it could be a centerpiece on display…..the ultimate in “ostentatiousness” in the early 19th Century.
This example is also made of the, then very expensive and imported rosewood, from India/Ceylon. It has 2 lidded tea compartments….. each with most of the original lining intact.
In the center of the teapoy are located 2 glass mixing bowls.
Gillows of Lancaster and London, also known as Gillow & Co., was an English furniture making firm based in Lancaster, Lancashire, and in London. It was founded around in Lancaster in about 1730 by Robert Gillow (1704–1772).
Library table, made by Gillow to a Chippendale design, on display in the Judges’ Lodgings, Lancaster.
Gillows was owned by the family until 1814 when it was taken over by Redmayne, Whiteside, and Ferguson; they continued to use the Gillow name. Gillows furniture was a byword for quality, and other designers used Gillows to manufacture their furniture. Gillows furniture is referred to by Jane Austen, Thackeray and the first Lord Lytton, and in one of Gilbert and Sullivan’s comic operas.[a] In 1903 Gillows merged with Warings of Liverpool to become Waring and Gillow and although the furniture remained of a high quality it was not as prestigious.
y the mid-18th century the firm was one of the leading cabinet-makers in Lancaster. They had a reputation for manufacturing very high quality furniture. By the end of the 1700s most of the firm’s partners were based in London. The firm merged with a Liverpool firm in 1897 to form Waring & Gillow.
Gillow family (1728–1814)
In 1728 Robert Gillow began trading in Lancaster as a joiner, builder, house carpenter, furniture maker and overseas merchant. By the summer of 1731 he had entered into a partnership with a fellow catholic, George Haresnape, which had ended by 1735. By 1734 six other names appeared on their staff list. Gillows notably made heavy use of mahogany wood, which is indigenous to the Americas, from the early 1730s. In the early 1740s, Gillow owned a twelfth share of the ship Briget, which he partially used to import mahogany from the West Indies. The success of the firm was partly due to his ability to directly import mahogany; by 1742 Gillow was exporting finished mahogany furniture back to the West Indies.
On 1 January 1757 Robert entered into an equal partnership with his son Richard Gillow (1733–1811), and the firm was known as Robert Gillow & Son. Richard was also the architect for several buildings in Lancaster. He financed the building of the catholic church in Dalton Square, Lancaster in 1798. The family’s Catholic history [b] was important in building up a customer base within Lancashire’s gentry, and their subsequent purchase of Leighton Hall, Lancashire from a cousin in 1822. On 31 December 1768 Robert Gillow I retired and left his share of the firm to his other son, Robert Gillow II (1747–1795). In 1769 and 1770, a shop at 176 Oxford Street, London, was sent up by the brothers’ cousin, Thomas Gillow (1736–1779), to sell their furniture. Goodison and Hardy state that the firm opened a London branch in 1760 at 176 Oxford Road. By 1775 the Lancaster branch had 42 employees, and by 1789 there were about 50 employees.
Pieces of Gillow furniture can now be seen in museums in London, Leeds, Adelaide, Melbourne, and Auckland, as well as a collection in the Gillow Museum in the Judges’ Lodgings, Lancaster. The furniture can also be seen in houses open to the public such as Tatton Park.
19C British William IV Teapoy Attribute to Gillow’s.
Provenance: Bought Privately in Ireland.
Dimensions: 32″ Tall, 16″ Wide and 12.5″ deep
Condition: Near Mint
[headline style=”16″ font_size=”15″ align=”center” headline_tag=”h2″]
19C British William IV Teapoy Attributed to Gillow’s