Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law Dublin 1840 by WH Bartlett

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law Dublin 1840 by WH Bartlett.



Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law Dublin 1840 by WH Bartlett

Lovely Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law Dublin 1840 by WH Bartlett,  of the famous Dublin landmark….the Four Courts of Law….on the banks of the River Liffey !

Framed under glass…..certificate of authenticity on rear.

shadow-ornament

shadow-ornament

Anyone who has visited Dublin has seen this building.....it has fond memories for me.....having worked there !!!

This engraving is from 1840..........certified and authenticated...........it was originally etched by W.H. Bartlett (artist) and was engraved by Fisher, Son & Co., London in 1844 (Owen)

RARE and HIGHLY DESIRABLE !!!

shadow-ornament

HISTORY OF THE FOUR COURTS: Work based on the design of Thomas Cooley for the Public Records Office of Ireland, began in 1776. After his death in 1784 renowned architect James Gandon was appointed to finish the building, which we recognise today as the Four Courts. It was built between 1786 and 1796, while the finishing touches to the arcades and wings were completed in 1802.[2] The lands were previously used by the King's Inns. The building originally housed the four courts of Chancery, King's Bench, Exchequer and Common Pleas, hence the name of the building. A major revision in the court system in the late nineteenth century saw these courts merged into a new High Court of Ireland, but the building has retained its historic name. This courts system remained until 1924, when the new Irish Free State introduced a new courts structure, replacing the High Court of Ireland, the Lord Chief Justice of Ireland and the Lord Chancellor of Ireland with a Supreme Court of Justice presided over by the Chief Justice and a High Court of Justice, presided over by the President of the High Court. In 1961 the words "of justice" were dropped from the names of both courts when they were belatedly re-established consequent upon the enactment of the 1937 Constitution.
The Four Courts and surrounding areas were held by Commandant Ned Daly's 1st Battalion during the Easter Rising in 1916. Some of the most intense fighting of Easter Week took place in the Church Street/North King Street/North Brunswick Street area. At the end of the week the Four Courts building itself became the headquarters of the 1st Battalion.

Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Courts

shadow-ornament

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law Dublin 1840 by WH Bartlett.

Provenance: Bought from a reputable dealer in Dublin, Ireland.

Dimensions: 14.75" x 12.75"

Condition:Mint.

Price: $460.00. Sale Price Now: $350.00

 

 

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law, Dublin 1840 by W.H. Bartlett

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law, Dublin 1840 by W.H. Bartlett

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law, Dublin 1840 by W.H. Bartlett

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law, Dublin 1840 by W.H. Bartlett

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law, Dublin 1840 by W.H. Bartlett

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law, Dublin 1840 by W.H. Bartlett

Original Irish Engraving of Four Courts of Law, Dublin 1840 by W.H. Bartlett