Early 20C French Brass Mini Coal Scuttle. [headline style="16" font_size="15" align="center" headline_tag="h2"] Early 20C French…
20C German Dold Exquisit Grandfather Clock and Curio Cabinet
[headline style=”16″ font_size=”20″ font_style=”bold” align=”center” headline_tag=”h2″]
20C German Dold Exquisit Grandfather Clock and Curio Cabinet
GORGEOUS late 20th Century German Grandfather Clock from Bavaria, Germany.
We are of the opinion that this Clock is probably from the 1970’s.
The Clock also ‘doubles up’ as a internally lighted Curio Cabinet with 2 glass shelves on either side for displaying trinkets or Objects D’Art.
The Clock is in near MINT CONDITION ! It is working perfectly !!
The Clock was manufactured by a Bavarian Clock Manufacturer called ‘Dold’.
Dold were famous for producing the best and finest quality Bavarian Black Forest Cuckoo Clocks. They are HIGHLY SOUGHT AFTER !
Dold closed as a Company in the 1990’s and its designs were acquired by another Bavarian Clock manufacturer called ‘Hettich’……….who still make these Clocks today !!
The Clock has a GORGEOUS dial and face….Roman numerals on a brass dial and face…..with the latter heavily engraved. Above the dial is a Moon or Lunar cycle display with stars and a blue enameled background.
The dial has a smaller circular dial and hand for seconds.
The dial hands are all original …. as is every part of this piece !
The Clock has 3 brass weights….each heavily engraved.
It has an over-sized Pendulum with Lyre motifs and twisted columns culminating with a highly engraved Pendulum base or disk with a Scene of Newschwanstein Castle in Bavaria, Germany.
The Clock has a brass label with the engraved picture of an Alpine Chalet and the following engraved words: ” Original “Dold Exquisit”, A Heirloom timepiece from the Black Forest…..W. Germany“.
Germany became unified in 1990…..so the reference to West Germany proves it was made before that date.
Neuschwanstein Castle (German: Schloss Neuschwanstein, pronounced [nɔʏˈʃvaːnʃtaɪn], English: “New Swanstone Castle”) is a nineteenth-century Romanesque Revival palace on a rugged hill above the village of Hohenschwangau near Füssen in southwest Bavaria, Germany. The palace was commissioned by Ludwig II of Bavaria as a retreat and as a homage to Richard Wagner. Ludwig paid for the palace out of his personal fortune and by means of extensive borrowing, rather than Bavarian public funds.
The palace was intended as a personal refuge for the reclusive king, but it was opened to the paying public immediately after his death in 1886. Since then more than 61 million people have visited Neuschwanstein Castle. More than 1.3 million people visit annually, with as many as 6,000 per day in the summer. The palace has appeared prominently in several movies such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and The Great Escape and serves as the inspiration for Disneyland‘s Sleeping Beauty Castle and later, similar structures.
The municipality of Schwangau lies at an elevation of 800 m (2,620 ft) at the south west border of the German state of Bavaria. Its surroundings are characterized by the transition between the Alpine foothills in the south (toward the nearby Austrian border) and a hilly landscape in the north that appears flat by comparison.
In the Middle Ages, three castles overlooked the villages. One was called Schwanstein Castle.[nb 1] In 1832, Ludwig’s father King Maximilian II of Bavaria bought its ruins to replace them with the comfortable neo-Gothic palace known as Hohenschwangau Castle. Finished in 1837, the palace became his family’s summer residence, and his elder son Ludwig (born 1845) spent a large part of his childhood here.
Vorderhohenschwangau Castle and Hinterhohenschwangau Castle[nb 2] sat on a rugged hill overlooking Schwanstein Castle, two nearby lakes (Alpsee and Schwansee), and the village. Separated only by a moat, they jointly consisted of a hall, a keep, and a fortified tower house. In the nineteenth century only ruins remained of the twin medieval castles, but those of Hinterhohenschwangau served as a lookout place known as Sylphenturm.
The ruins above the family palace were known to the crown prince from his excursions. He first sketched one of them in his diary in 1859. When the young king came to power in 1864, the construction of a new palace in place of the two ruined castles became the first in his series of palace building projects. Ludwig called the new palace New Hohenschwangau Castle; only after his death was it renamed Neuschwanstein. The confusing result is that Hohenschwangau and Schwanstein have effectively swapped names: Hohenschwangau Castle replaced the ruins of Schwanstein Castle, and Neuschwanstein Castle replaced the ruins of the two Hohenschwangau Castles.
The Black Forest (German: Schwarzwald, pronounced [ˈʃvaʁt͡svalt]) is a large forested mountain range in the state of Baden-Württemberg in southwestern Germany. It is bounded by the Rhine valley to the west and south. Its highest peak is the Feldberg with an elevation of 1,493 metres (4,898 ft). The region is almost rectangular in shape with a length of 160 km (99 mi) and breadth of up to 60 km (37 mi).
The Black Forest stretches from the High Rhine in the south to the Kraichgau in the north. In the west it is bounded by the Upper Rhine Plain (which, from a natural region perspective, also includes the low chain of foothills); in the east it transitions to the Gäu, Baar and hill country west of the Klettgau. The Black Forest is the highest part of the South German Scarplands and much of it is densely wooded. It is composed of rocks of the crystalline basement and Bunter Sandstone and its natural boundary with the surrounding landscapes is formed by the emergence of muschelkalk, which is absent from the Black Forest bedrock. Thanks to the fertility of the soil which is dependent on the underlying rock, this line is both a vegetation boundary as well as the border between the Altsiedelland (“old settlement land”) and the Black Forest, which was not permanently settled until the High Middle Ages. From north to south the Black Forest extends for over 150 kilometres, attaining a width of up to 50 kilometres in the south, and up to 30 kilometres in the north. Tectonically the range forms a lifted fault block, which rises prominently in the west from the Upper Rhine Plain, whilst seen from the east it has the appearance of a heavily forested plateau.
This would have been a HIGH TICKET ITEM at the time it was purchased in the 1980’s.
Hettich make similar models today and they will cost you around $9,000 excluding shipping.
The case is made of beautiful burgundy colored mahogany. The front door is almost entirely made of glass, as are both sides. The clock has an arched pediment with glass panels. The interior is wired and lights up by accessing a switch inside the left hand clock dial door.
The clock is a 8 day movement….meaning it only needs to be wound every 8 days.
It has a number of different settings. It has a chime setting to set it to Westminster, Whittington and St. Michael’s Chimes. It can also be set to Silent.
Other settings include: Silent, Night Off and Strike.
The base has 3 drawers….one central and 2 on the sides.
The Clock comes with its original key winder.
It has 3 winders….one for time, one for chimes and one for Lunar panel.
The Cabinet has a mirrored back to reflect light and show off curios etc.
[feature_box style=”8″ only_advanced=”There%20are%20no%20title%20options%20for%20the%20choosen%20style” alignment=”center”]
THIS IS SERIOUSLY IMPRESSIVE AND IMPOSING CLOCK …. GOOD ENOUGH TO GRACE THE FINEST OF HOMES !
THIS CLOCK CAN BE YOURS FOR A BARGAIN PRICE – DO NOT MISS IT !!
20C German Dold Exquisit Grandfather Clock and Curio Cabinet.
Provenance: Bought in Europe and Shipped to the US by an American Client
Dimensions: 81″ Tall, 36″ Wide and 12″ deep
Condition: Near Mint ….. perfect working condition.